Just in case you missed it, there is a picture of a giant squid going around on the internet. The picture claims to be taken on a beach in Santa Monica, California. It was part of an article on a website called The Lightly Braised Turnip.
À la Godzilla, the article claims the squid was a victim of radiation—supposedly from the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan.
People began to share the photo of the supposed cephalopod on Facebook and Twitter, and thus the story began to be known.
But is this picture for real? Or is it a giant hoax? I would say hoax because an event like that in the media capital of the world would be surrounded by 40 video equipped helicopters and scores of young smart phone Youtubers putting video clips all over the net. But no, none of that exists, only the one picture,
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST SQUID EVER FOUND?
According to the National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, the biggest giant squid ever recorded by scientists measured nearly 43 feet (12 meters) long, according to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History website.
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST LIVING ORGANISM IN THE OCEAN?
You may be thinking things like giant squids, or whales, but the biggest living organism in the ocean is the Great Barrier Reef in Austrailia. It is the world’s largest coral reef system composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands stretching for over 2,600 kilometres over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres. Now that is a big organism!
USA – A group of young men, out looking for some fun, decided to tie a hook to their friend’s hair to see if he could actually catch something. The lucky fellow with the long hair then dunked his hair in the water and landed himself a nice specimen. Not sure if this is a first, but it is definitely creative! Check out the video of the action here.
CHINA – A woman bought a snake and then sealed it in wine bottle. Her hope was that fermenting the snake for 3 months and then consuming it would help cure her Rheumatism. When she opened the bottle, however, the snake was still alive. It jumped out and bit her hand. The woman, named Liu, was forced to go to hospital for treatment.
Liu said she was shocked by the event, but upon leaving the hospital said she was lucky. In 2001, a villager who lived near her died a day after being bitten by a snake “preserved” in wine.
There was no information on what type of snake was involved in the incident, but it was obviously one that knew how to hold its breath for a long time.